Tour Egypt Forums: My Hero And President Obama Sighting On Msnbc - Tour Egypt Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Hero And President Obama Sighting On Msnbc

#1 User is offline   Spark_man 

• Vizier
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:In no particular order: Egypt (Duh!), History, Hunting, Fishing, Photography, Music, Art, Computers ...
  • User has been to Egypt {Visited Egypt?}

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:20 AM

Ok, we all know how inept the major news can be. But I really got a huge laugh this evening. I caught just a bit of MSNBC's Nightly News when I walked in the door this evening - right when they were showing footage of the President and the person that Brian Williams described as his "tour guide". See it for yourself here. Apparently, CNN's Anderson Cooper didn't know who the "guide" was either - read for yourself here. :D

So, who was his guide, you might ask. None other than Dr. Zahi Hawass (replete with the ubiquitous "Indiana Jones" fedora). The President was commenting on his personal resemblance to the 4600 year old relief of priest/scholar/judge "Kar" saying "That looks like me! Look at those ears!" To which the "guide", in his ever-humble style replied "Mister President, you look like King Tut. Its true! I said this the whole time two years ago. You were a king in ancient Egypt."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zahi is my Hero! :unsure:
Like I tell my kids when they call me old --
It ain't the years, its the mileage!

Our homepage

#2 User is offline   hoppitycow 

• High Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

Obama gave a great speech. He is a very good orator and it was a delight watching him deliver it. He did the United States proud!

#3 User is offline   GlenP 

• High Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

View PostSpark_man, on Jun 5 2009, 01:20 AM, said:

Ok, we all know how inept the major news can be. But I really got a huge laugh this evening. I caught just a bit of MSNBC's Nightly News when I walked in the door this evening - right when they were showing footage of the President and the person that Brian Williams described as his "tour guide". See it for yourself here. Apparently, CNN's Anderson Cooper didn't know who the "guide" was either - read for yourself here. :D

So, who was his guide, you might ask. None other than Dr. Zahi Hawass (replete with the ubiquitous "Indiana Jones" fedora). The President was commenting on his personal resemblance to the 4600 year old relief of priest/scholar/judge "Kar" saying "That looks like me! Look at those ears!" To which the "guide", in his ever-humble style replied "Mister President, you look like King Tut. Its true! I said this the whole time two years ago. You were a king in ancient Egypt."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Zahi is my Hero! :unsure:

Don't you just love the media?

It's a bit like a couple of documentaries they had on The History Channel this week.

One was about Ra-mess-es II & the Battle of Kadesh. They kept claiming that Ra-messes created the New Kingdom Egyptian army & empire, even after having several egyptologists talking about the former having been done at the time when the Hyksos were expelled & the latter under Thoth-moses III.

They also gave the impression that Ra-mess-es had expelled the Hyksos.

The other one, described Seti I's temple at Abydos as being a tomb.

I alsso remember a Nat Geo documentary, on Akh-en-Aten, that kept talking about his capital being at a place called Armana; I ended up screaming teh correct pronunciation at the TV set, by the end of that one :D

Glen

#4 User is offline   AD1 

• Vizier
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

View PostGlenP, on Jun 5 2009, 10:55 AM, said:

Don't you just love the media?

It's a bit like a couple of documentaries they had on The History Channel this week.

One was about Ra-mess-es II & the Battle of Kadesh. They kept claiming that Ra-messes created the New Kingdom Egyptian army & empire, even after having several egyptologists talking about the former having been done at the time when the Hyksos were expelled & the latter under Thoth-moses III.

They also gave the impression that Ra-mess-es had expelled the Hyksos.

The other one, described Seti I's temple at Abydos as being a tomb.

I alsso remember a Nat Geo documentary, on Akh-en-Aten, that kept talking about his capital being at a place called Armana; I ended up screaming teh correct pronunciation at the TV set, by the end of that one :unsure:

Glen

What amazes me is Hawas offering his hat as a gift to Obama. So, in 20 years time instead of Hawas saying "One day I met President Obama and he gave me this gift on the occasion.." Obama would say "2o years ago, I met this amazing guy in Egypt who gave me this hat."!

It is funny how people think of themselves :-)

AD

#5 User is offline   Joerg 

• Vizier
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Apart from Egypt and animals the whole list would go beyond the scope of this profile.
  • User has been to Egypt {Visited Egypt?}

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

Watching TV I heard some people asking:
"Who is that black guy next to Zahi?" :unsure: :D :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic