Page 1 of 1

What Does Mean? ...

#1 User is offline   elisa 

• Monarch
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Sabah el kheir..

i heard a lot of times this expression Sallem Nebi (or something like this) but noone can help when i ask what does mean.
Just i know that Nebi is another name of the prophet Mohamed..
Someone can help me?
Shukran
Elisa

#2 User is offline   Joerg 

• Vizier
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Interests:Apart from Egypt and animals the whole list would go beyond the scope of this profile.
  • User has been to Egypt {Visited Egypt?}

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

View Postelisa, on Dec 30 2005, 09:40 AM, said:

Someone can help me?

To my knowledge Nebi is the Arabic translation for a prophet in general.
As Moses is called Nebi Musa.
However I`ve never come across this greeting before.

#3 User is offline   zahraa 

• High Priest
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, History, Egyptology, Cooking, Helping people, smile and love life and photography<br /><br />EGYPT is a realy wonderful country and i always describe my city to tourists Alexandria is a ceaser salade where you can find all nationalites and all tastes so you can stay here and get mixed in this salade and you will find all around you like you n smile in your face it is a real flower in big garden full of flowers and please if you meet any bad person in EGYPt don't think that is all are like him couse in any garden you can find flowers and you will be hurted with their pins but it will stay a perfect flower. so please enjoy your time here and have a look here<br /><br />http://touregypt.net/teblog/alexandrianews/<br />
  • User has been to Egypt {Visited Egypt?}

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:53 PM

View Postelisa, on Dec 30 2005, 08:40 AM, said:

Sabah el kheir..

i heard a lot of times this expression Sallem Nebi (or something like this) but noone can help when i ask what does mean.
Someone can help me?
Shukran
Elisa

Hello Elisa,

First, Nabi is not another word for the prophet Mohamed as Nabi is Arabic word which is meaning word Prophet it self so it is for any prophet as Moses is prophet (Nabi) Jesus is prophet (Nabi), Mohammed is a prophet (Nabi). So the translation of prophet is Arabic is NABI. So we call all of them ANBIAA which is the plural of Nabi. And the word are asking about it is common word between Egyptian as it suppose to be SALA ALA EL NABI as it called in English (PBUH) means (peace be on him). As it is way of respect for all prophets so we say Prophet Moses (peace be on him), Prophet Jesus (peace be on him) and Prophet Muhammad (peace be on him). So it is Respect and Polite way before calling their names. As you say, Jesus the Christ. so i hope that you get wat salla (not sllam) Nabi. and manily this for all prophets.

I hope you get it now

Thanks and regards.
ZAHRAA, Flower, Fleur, Flora, HRRT,Çiçek, цветок, ромашка, Ζαχραα ,Λουλουδι, Blume, ЦВЕТА
I am writing my name in different languages to represent our city Alexandria, as we are such strange tasty Mixture different Languages, different nationalities so we are Alexandrian. So, I'm writing Alexandria News to help you to taste our city and see how tasty and nice it is. So you can send Us anytime and you can call as my tourists groups pronounce ZARA

#4 User is offline   AD1 

• Vizier
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

Good explanation from Zahraa.
At the street level, when Sali ala Nabi is said, it can mean one of a few expressions:

1) Calm down, don't be upset.
2) Let's talk it over so we can reach an agreement.
3) Don't be patronizing.

It is one of those wonderful and useful expressions that tell you: You are in Egypt.

AD

#5 User is offline   elisa 

• Monarch
  • Pip

Posted 31 December 2005 - 07:16 AM

Many thanks to all,
now everything is clear!!
Shukran giddan :P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply